Top Ten Things To Do For Healthy Bones and Joints. By Dr. Humeira Badsha Rheumatologist Dubai
1) Maintain a healthy body weight and body mass index. Research has shown that every kg increase in body weight over normal increases the stress on knees by 5 kg
2) Consume enough calcium. An adult needs 1000 mg of calcium daily and a post meopausal woman needs 1500 mg calcium. 1 glass (200 ml) of milk contains about 300 mg of calcium
3) Get enough Vitamin D. The daily requirement is 1000 IU. This is usually obtained by sun exposure – about 15 minutes per day for very light skinned people. More pigmented skins may find it hard to absorb the vitamin D and you may require a supplement or fortified foods
4) Exercise daily or at least 3- 4 times per week. A combination of aerobic activities and strength training is needed.
5) Quit smoking. Research has shown that smoking can increase your risk of rheumatoid arthritis by upto 20 fold.
6) Pay attention to your body. Do not ignore aches, pains, joint swelling or stiffness. See a Rheumatologist promptly if you have these symptoms.
7) Eat fish. Omega oils in certain types of fish and walnuts help prevent arthritis
8) Watch your food. There are beneficial anti-inflammatories in ginger, turmeric avocado. Limit consumption of excess red meats.
9) Relax. Stress can trigger auto-immune disease and certain forms of arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis.
10) Stretch. Stretching before exercise and regularly during the day prevents muscle strain and repetitive stress injuries.